A healthier tastier potato salad.
Now all you need is a nice picnic location, or an invite to a BBQ.
A nice picnic spot with an old abby.
Someone to carry the picnic supplies?
This is a healthy potato salad made out of a yogurt and mustard dressing. It's refreshing and tangy and nothing like the heavy mayonnaise bland potato salads. Start by bringing some water to boil in a large pot. While the water is warming up, scrub, peel, and quarter the potatoes. While the potatoes cook, prep the rest of the ingredients.
Picnic Potato Salad
Serves: 4 or more
6-8 medium to large potatoes, washed, peeled and quartered into large chunks
salt, about 1 tsp
1/3 cup yogurt (half mayonnaise and half yogurt is fine too)
2-3 tbsp fine Dijon mustard (may want to add to your taste)
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper (or any other color is fine)
2-3 tbsp parsley, chopped fine
2 spring green onions, chopped with about 4" of the greens chopped into chives
salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat. Lightly salt the water with about 1 tsp of salt (I used coarse salt). Covering the pan will make it boil more quickly.
2. Once the water comes to a simmer, or light bubbles form from the bottom to the top in a steady stream, carefully add in quartered potato chunks and turn heat down to medium. Cook 15-20 minutes or until soft. Don't cook the potatoes so long that they fall apart, you don't want boiling water, a light simmer is fine. Turn the heat off once cooked. They can sit in the water until just ready to use.
3. In a small mixing bowl add yogurt through green onions. Stir to combine. Taste to adjust seasoning. Since the potatoes were cooked in salted water, you may not need to add in any extra salt.
4. Drain potatoes in a colander, but before draining, reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water, such as in a coffee mug or teacup. Place the large pot on a heat-safe surface or on a pot holder.
5. Add the drained potatoes back to the large pot, and place the dressing on top.
6. Carefully mix the potatoes and dressing together. Take a big spatula, and gradually fold the potatoes from bottom to top. If too thick, thin with some of the reserved water. Serve immediately, or place in fridge until ready to serve. Some water may separate from the yogurt, just stir carefully before serving.