Need a way to consume more vegetables each day? Try this recipe. These baked tomatoes are filled with lemon-chard feta rice, and baked on top of golden potato wedges and red onions. It takes some prep work and extra baking time, but the outcome is quite delicious.
When I was 14 years old, I began cooking meals for my family. This is the one dish from those years of many failed dishes, that managed to turn out a delicious meal each time (in fact, this is the only dish that I prepared, that my cousins actually ate). I think I used a recipe from a home-ec class, which included milk, eggs, and spinach. Back in the day (early 90’s), baked tomatoes along with platters of steamed veggies used to be the default vegetarian dish on restaurant menus. Baked tomatoes are a nostalgic dish for me - good thing they are delicious!
Small to medium red onions cook quickly when quartered. Cut up the potatoes and onions first. Then prep the tomatoes. Finally, prepare the stuffing. Use ripe tomatoes.
Yield: 4-6 servings
4-6 small to medium yellow waxy potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into wedges
3 small red onions, peeled and quartered, leave the ends on
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp capers, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper to taste
4-6 ripe tomatoes, cored and cleaned out, reserve the pulp and seeds
1 recipe lemon-chard feta rice (see note below)
Note: add the reserved tomato pulp and seeds in place of the cherry tomatoes called for in the lemon-chard feta rice recipe.
1. Place the potatoes and onions in a casserole dish.
2. Mix together olive oil, capers, salt and pepper and toss with the potatoes and onions.
3. Preheat oven to 375 F.
4. Prepare the lemon-chard feta rice
5. Carefully fill each tomato with about 1/2 cup or more of the lemon-chard feta rice filling.
6. Nestle the tomatoes in between the potatoes and onions, so they don’t fall over.
7. Bake the tomatoes for 30 minutes or until the tomatoes appear wilted and cooked through.
8. Serve the tomatoes along with the potatoes and onions.
Potatoes and onions in a small casserole
Bright light chards from the container garden (my only successful plant all Belgian summer long)
Baked stuffed tomatoes ready to go in the oven
Sunday lunch out of the oven