March 15, 2010

Cabbage Gratin

I had a huge cabbage sitting in the fridge that was leftover from my cabbage kofta, and so I went searching for a recipe to get rid of the rest.  This is a wonderful vegetarian main dish. It's from my fave cookbook, presumably you may have picked up which one that is.

I served with a spicy mustard sauce and some truffle salt toast. Basically I drizzled whole-grain bread with olive oil and sprinkled truffle salt on top (like the flatbread from Columbia Winery =) and the sauce is basically yogurt with enough mustard in it to taste tangy and mustard-y. Truffle salt has to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. Delish.

Ingredients:
1-2 T butter
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
1 large to medium green cabbage, cut in 1" to 2" squares
1/3 cup flour
1 cup milk (I subbed in soymilk - it was fine)
1/4 cup creme fraiche
2 T tomato paste
3 eggs
3 T parsley or dill
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Put on a large pot of water, and bring to a boil.
2. Next butter a casserole dish and coat the sides with the parmesan cheese.




3. When water is boiling, add the cabbage and cook for 5-7 minutes.
4. Combine the flour, milk, eggs, cream, tomato paste, eggs and herbs.
5. Season with salt and pepper. Drain the cabbage through a colander, and squeeze out extra water with the back of a ladle. Combine the cabbage with the flour/milk mixture, and stir to combine.
6. Place this mixture in a casserole dish and bake in the oven for 1 hour, or until browned on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment