1-1.5 cups uncooked bowtie or farfalle pasta (you can use fettucine or whatever you desire)
Water for boiling
salt to get it going faster
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium zucchini, quartered
1 lb mushrooms, quartered
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
salt to taste
Marinara sauce (recipe below, or your own)
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup to 1 cup fresh mozzarella (the rubbery wet kind), sliced
Ingredients for Marinara Sauce:
2 T olive oil
3 T carrots, chopped
1 large clove garlic, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
few parsley springs
2 T mixed herbs (basil, marjoram, oregano etc), chopped
1 28 oz can pureed tomatoes (low-sodium)
generous pour of red wine (I used this merlot)
- Boil water for the pasta, and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile prep the veggies for the sauce and lasagna.
- Drain pasta and reserve about 1 cup of the cooking water, to use if the pasta sticks.
- In the same pan (or a new one), heat 1 tsp of olive oil over medium-high heat, and add mushrooms. Cook 4-5 minutes or until golden, turn heat to medium.
- Add in peppers and zucchini. Continue to cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in crushed red pepper and season with salt, set aside.
Directions for Marinara Sauce:
- In the same pot (no need to dirty a new one, right?) heat up 2 T of olive oil over medium-high heat, and add in garlic and onions. Cook for about 3 minutes, and turning heat down to medium, add in carrots, and parsley sprigs.
- Add in pureed tomatoes, wine, and herbs. Cook covered, over medium-high heat until the marinara thickens (about 20 minutes). Remove parsley sprigs before using, adjust salt if needed.
- Next, assemble your lasagna, layering sauce, noodles, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, and veggies.
- Heat up, over low-medium heat for about 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs and parmesan. While its cooking you can make a salad =)