Bean beet balls on top of some pasta
Beets are lovely eh?
Prepping the beans and beets
These bean balls are made out of mashed kidney beans and a small shredded beet. They come together quickly needing minimal kitchen tools. Omit the beets if you don't have them, they aren't necessary, I just liked the idea of how the beets give them a nice color and nutritional boost. If using a food processor, process very lightly; a potato masher and 10 minutes is fine if you want to do it the lazy way. Just add ingredients one-by-one and mash in a large bowl. Chilling the filling allows it to set, but if pressed for time can be omitted. Be liberal with the spices - thyme, basil, marjoram, or any mixture can easily replace oregano.
Yield: ~20 balls
1-2 tbsp garlic chopped
about 1 and ½ cups cooked kidney beans, or 1, 14 oz can kidney beans rinsed and drained
½ tsp salt
½ tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 egg, beaten
1 small beet shredded
¾ cup bread crumbs
¼ cup oats
1 tsp water
olive oil to fry
- Add chopped garlic and kidney beans to a bowl. Begin to mash together lightly add in shredded beet and continue to mash until the mixture begins to come together. This should take 5 minutes. Add in salt, paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Continue to mash together. Stir in beaten egg and 1 tsp water and combine. The mixture will be sticky. Add in 2 tbsp of bread crumbs and oats and continue to mix together until the bean mixture can hold together well enough (without crumbling).
- Place the bean mixture in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- When done, roll the bean mixture into small balls. Place them on a tray or plate and allow to chill for 15 minutes.
- When ready to cook, add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to a wide non-stick skillet. Heat over medium heat until hot. Add in half the balls and cook until golden 5-7 minutes. Carefully turn balls over so that each side gets cooked. Remove cooked bean balls and add the second batch to the pan. You might need to add additional 1 tbsp of olive oil. The bean balls tend to soak up oil, so cook them on medium heat until golden 15-20 minutes total for all of them. I leave them in the pan on low-heat so they are warm when the rest of the meal is ready.
- Serve on top of pasta or in anything.