Simmering the tempeh in water removes the bitterness and allows the tempeh to pick up more flavor. Get the rice cooking first as the stir-fry comes together quickly.
1 cup water
1 block tempeh, cut into 1" cubes
2 T of oil for tempeh
1 cup basmati rice
2 1/2 cups water
1 T of oil for stir fry
1 T Thai green curry paste
1 T soy sauce
1 can coconut milkjuice of 1/2 lime
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1/2 eggplant, cut into 2" strips
1/2 zucchini, quartered
1 red onion, sliced
- Heat 1 cup water in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Once hot, simmer tempeh for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the curry paste, lime juice, soy sauce and turmeric with the coconut milk. Set aside.
- Drain tempeh and set aside to cool. In the same medium sauce pan, combine rice and water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir the rice occasionally while it is boiling. When most of the water has evaporated, cover the rice, turn down to low and let sit.
- Heat 2 T of oil over medium heat in a wide skillet. Once hot, saute tempeh over medium heat until golden, turning every few minutes.
- Once golden, remove from pan, set aside, and add 1 T oil and heat over medium.
- Add in onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add in eggplant and zucchini and saute for 3 more minutes.
- Add in coconut milk mixture and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Add in tempeh and stir to combine.