2 T cornstarch
4 T water
2 T soy sauce
3 T rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 red chili or 1/4 tsp crushed red chili
2 T vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
3 3/4 cups vegetable stock
1 open-can mushroom, sliced
2 oz extra-firm tofu, diced 1/2"
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Blend cornstarch with water to form a smooth paste. Add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, pepper and chili, mix well.
- Break the egg into a separate bowl and beat well.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat (or wok) and stir fry the onion for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable stock, mushroom, and tofu and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour cornstarch mixture into the soup and cook the soup, stirring constantly, until it has thickened.
- As you are stirring, stir in the beaten egg very slowly into the soup, to create threads of egg.
- Garnish with the toasted sesame oil and serve immediately.