yield: 8 cakes
3-4 medium potatoes (I had yukon on hand)
1 onion, quartered
2 T red opal basil (if you have, makes for nice color), chopped
2 T green basil, chopped
1 t salt
1/2 t lemon pepper
1/2 to 3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs, mixed
1/4 cup oil, divided
(basically any herbs you want to add will probably taste good)
- Shred potatoes and onion together and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add in basil through eggs and stir together well. Be liberal with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat half of the vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Put a oven-safe plate in the oven, and turn to 200.
- When skillet is hot, form patties with your hand and place in skillet. You should be able to cook 4 on a 12" skillet. Cook until golden, usually 8 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile begin assembling raitu.
- Cook until golden on both sides. Add in additional oil if needed for preparing the rest of the cakes. To keep warm, place on oven-safe dish, and cover until ready to serve.
1 cup whole-milk yogurt (you can use the low-fat variety if that is your thing)
1/4 cup shredded cucumber
2 T shredded carrot (1/2 carrot)
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t salt
1/8 t lemon pepper
2 T mint, chiffoned
- Mix together, taste, and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Thin with water if necessary.